Created by: CatzSop
Project

Batik King Storm at Sea Quilt

This was the first time I made a quilt with added machine embroidery design elements placed throughout. The quilt pattern was easy to follow and I appreciated the yardage chart in the pattern layout which included yardage calculations for several different size options . Matching all the points was a challenge when piecing the rows and tended to require careful precision for the duration. The cutting instructions for the diamonds were great and were quick to cut out using a rotary cutter. Since some of these pieces ended up being on the bias, they proved tricky to work with, requiring care not to over-stretch and distort while piecing. Maybe this wouldn’t be such an issue if using denim as the pattern maker suggests. I successfully spray-basted all the layers then anchored the larger block sections, stitching “in the ditch”. I chose to sew my machine embroidery through all three layers which proved challenging due to the weight. This step was made easier by either holding up the surrounding areas of the quilt during the embroidery stitch-out and sometimes I found it helpful to drape the remainder of the quilt (outside the embroidery field) over my shoulders to prevent drag as well. For my next quilt, I will embroider the designs on to the fabric first, then free-motion around them or employ a “quilt as you go” method, working with narrower strips then sewing the top layer together and hand stitching the back sections together after that. For the remainder of my quilting design, (grid-work) I utilized a clear ruler and painter’s tape instead of chalk to create my straight lines. For the matching pillow shams, I used part of the quilt block then created a border around it onto which I free-motioned a wave pattern all around.

Project Description

This was the first time I made a quilt with added machine embroidery design elements placed throughout. The quilt pattern was easy to follow and I appreciated the yardage chart in the pattern layout which included yardage calculations for several different size options . Matching all the points was a challenge when piecing the rows and tended to require careful precision for the duration. The cutting instructions for the diamonds were great and were quick to cut out using a rotary cutter. Since some of these pieces ended up being on the bias, they proved tricky to work with, requiring care not to over-stretch and distort while piecing. Maybe this wouldn’t be such an issue if using denim as the pattern maker suggests. I successfully spray-basted all the layers then anchored the larger block sections, stitching “in the ditch”. I chose to sew my machine embroidery through all three layers which proved challenging due to the weight. This step was made easier by either holding up the surrounding areas of the quilt during the embroidery stitch-out and sometimes I found it helpful to drape the remainder of the quilt (outside the embroidery field) over my shoulders to prevent drag as well. For my next quilt, I will embroider the designs on to the fabric first, then free-motion around them or employ a “quilt as you go” method, working with narrower strips then sewing the top layer together and hand stitching the back sections together after that. For the remainder of my quilting design, (grid-work) I utilized a clear ruler and painter’s tape instead of chalk to create my straight lines. For the matching pillow shams, I used part of the quilt block then created a border around it onto which I free-motioned a wave pattern all around.

Q&A with CatzSop

Deonn @ Quiltscapes asked:
I don't really have a question, but wanted to tell you I think this looks stunning! I especially like the addition of pillows to complete the ensemble! Perfect.
CatzSop answered:
Thanks so much for your positive feedback. The quilt pattern was so well designed, it was a joy to make.

Skill Level

Intermediate