Created by: Candace98335
Project

From way too big to just right fit

A Cowichan style sweater/jacket for my youngest (adult) daughter. I drafted the pattern using Japanese Nihon Vogue techniques for style, based on her measurements. The swallows and leaves motifs are from Priscilla Gibson-Roberts Salishan Sweaters book borrowed from the local library. All went amazingly well-I thought: motifs fit beautifully without a lot of adjusting, etc. The drafted pattern fit well to the recipient’s body--and I took off with knitting needles flying in order to complete the project from paper draft and swatches to finished Christmas present. Well, when she had the tried on the finished sweater it was WAY, WAY too big. And I have to say, that has never happened to me before. I was devastated-and she was terribly disappointed. I knew she would never wear it. Although the pattern was correct I somehow had added a LOT around the circumference of the body. I watched Carol Feller’s Craftsy class on Sweater Surgery and with lots of fear and trepidation made the adjustments, used crocheted steaks at the sides, cut out the excess and adjusted the sleeve circumference to match the new armhole. And it all came out perfectly!! I am super happy with the final results. A Big THANK YOU to Carol Feller and Craftsy! Photos show the end result, and happy (happier) recipient. Additional pictures show the sweater in progress awaiting the zipper, the areas at the sides the underwent sweater surgery by steering. Final pictures show my steek test on one of the original swatches. The steek practice with scrap yarn for the lines of single crochet can be seen on either side of the seam line, but on the public side of the swatch it is absolutely invisible. The final photo shows the actual amount excised from side. (x-posted to my project page on Ravelry)

You Can Make This

Candace98335 made From way too big to just right fit with:

Sweater Surgery

Online Class

Sweater Surgery

with Carol Feller

  • Bartlettyarns 3ply yarn

Project Description

A Cowichan style sweater/jacket for my youngest (adult) daughter. I drafted the pattern using Japanese Nihon Vogue techniques for style, based on her measurements. The swallows and leaves motifs are from Priscilla Gibson-Roberts Salishan Sweaters book borrowed from the local library. All went amazingly well-I thought: motifs fit beautifully without a lot of adjusting, etc. The drafted pattern fit well to the recipient’s body--and I took off with knitting needles flying in order to complete the project from paper draft and swatches to finished Christmas present. Well, when she had the tried on the finished sweater it was WAY, WAY too big. And I have to say, that has never happened to me before. I was devastated-and she was terribly disappointed. I knew she would never wear it. Although the pattern was correct I somehow had added a LOT around the circumference of the body. I watched Carol Feller’s Craftsy class on Sweater Surgery and with lots of fear and trepidation made the adjustments, used crocheted steaks at the sides, cut out the excess and adjusted the sleeve circumference to match the new armhole. And it all came out perfectly!! I am super happy with the final results. A Big THANK YOU to Carol Feller and Craftsy! Photos show the end result, and happy (happier) recipient. Additional pictures show the sweater in progress awaiting the zipper, the areas at the sides the underwent sweater surgery by steering. Final pictures show my steek test on one of the original swatches. The steek practice with scrap yarn for the lines of single crochet can be seen on either side of the seam line, but on the public side of the swatch it is absolutely invisible. The final photo shows the actual amount excised from side. (x-posted to my project page on Ravelry)

Q&A with Candace98335

No completed Q&As yet.

Skill Level

Advanced