Baking Blog

No Yeast? No Problem With These 5-Ingredient Dinner Rolls

No yeast? No problem. These no-yeast dinner rolls make creating mealtime carbs a snap.

No yeast dinner rolls

These easy dinner rolls don’t require yeast!

Photos via CakeSpy

It truly doesn’t get much easier than this recipe, which only calls for five ingredients and five minutes of prep time.

Instead of yeast, these rolls rely on baking powder for leavening. Combined with the naturally occurring acid in yogurt, the baking powder gives these rolls a lofty rise while maintaining a tender crumb on the inside.

Buttered roll

Texture-wise, these rolls are fascinating: They have the tenderness of a biscuit, but without being crumbly.

Baking the rolls in muffin tins ensures that they rise up and not out, giving them a pleasing dinner roll shape which just begs to be cut or torn in half and lavishly buttered.

No-yeast dinner rolls recipe

Makes 4 rolls (recipe can easily be doubled)

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons full-fat plain yogurt

Step 1:

Position a rack in the middle position of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Generously grease four cups of a standard-size muffin tin.

Step 2:

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Step 3:

Add the milk and yogurt, and stir using a wooden spoon until combined. At a certain point, it will feel natural to switch over to kneading the dough with well-oiled hands. Turn it over a few times to really incorporate the dough.

Step 4:

Divide the dough into four equal portions. Once again with oiled hands, roll each portion into a ball. Align the seam so that it faces down. Place each portion into the greased cups.

Roll the dough

Step 5:

Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating at the 6-minute mark, or until golden on top.

Step 6:

Remove from the oven, and let cool briefly in the pan. Remove from the pan and enjoy warm. Store well-wrapped leftovers at room temperature for up to three days, or freeze for up to a month.

Make these easy no-yeast dinner rolls with just five ingredients

Recipe notes

Don’t have (or don’t like) yogurt? You can substitute sour cream or mayonnaise for the yogurt called for  in the recipe.

Whole wheat flour can be substituted, in part or in whole, for the all-purpose flour called for in this recipe. Add an extra teaspoon or two of milk to keep the rolls moist, as whole wheat flour is “thirstier” than all-purpose flour.

You can add nuts, seeds, herbs, dried fruit or any other desired mix-ins to your rolls. Add them to the dry ingredients at the same time you add the wet ingredients.

If desired, you can brush the tops of the rolls with butter or olive oil and sprinkle with seeds (such as poppy seeds or sesame seeds) before baking.

Make these homemade rolls really sparkle by serving them with a homemade compound butter!

On the Rise: Bun & Roll Techniques

Bake Delicious Buns & Rolls From Scratch!

Learn how to make the perfect bun or roll for every occasion! Enjoy expert instruction from King Arthur Flour’s Jeff Yankellow, throughout HD online video lessons.Enroll today »

Kay

Certainly want to try this recipe. What is the oven temp? 400, 450, 500 degrees?

Jessie Oleson Moore

Kay: they’re my new fave, I’ve made them 3 times this week! it’s in step 1 – 350 degrees F.

Janis S. TheCookieMomster

These look great. Going to have to give them a try…..maybe add to our Thanksgiving menu. Thanks Jessie! 🙂

Jessie Oleson Moore

I really enjoy this recipe – I have also made them with whole wheat flour. They are great!

Sharon Wolfgram

Has anyone tried gluten free flour? Ive tried so many and they all are so dry! Miss not having any bread.

tosha

you can grind old fashion oats to a powder with a food processer or binder, small amounts at a time, and then use as regular flour. its no substitution needed just swap them out…

lisa Christensen

I love the muffin pan idea! Had any o.e tried this recipe with mayonnaise? That sounds interesting I’ve used yogurt and sour cream but not mayonnaise. Thank you for the recipe!

Casey Zilz

I just made these with Mayo. It was quite good! I’d recommend it.

Soshiny

I’m not a good baker by any accounts, but this was easy and DELICIOUS! More like scones (which I love) with mayonnaise, and since my oven is a little older, the temp was 360 and the timing for all of 15 mins.

Sally

These were quick, easy & my husband loved them. I doubled the recipe so he’d have some 4 breakfast w jam. He said they tasted like English muffins. They were sticker than shown but w oily hands I could still make balls out of them. My new last min go 2. Thanks 4 posting.

Jessie Oleson Moore

Thanks sally! Good idea on oiled hands. You could flour your hands too. Looks like you made it work! 🙂

Linda

Turned out like biscuits. Won’t be making again

Sparkly Prairie Designs

This is a must try! Thanks Craftsy for sharing this recipe with us!

kemal

Thanks sally! Good idea on oiled hands.

bilal

I just made these with Mayo. It was quite good! I’d recommend it.

dak

just for the hell of it I used almond flour and it was watery and like crap
I am on a low carb lifestyle and so this didn’t work – but at least I tried …haha
ended up throwing it away

a101 aktuel

Turned out like biscuits. Won’t be making again

Beverley

I made these to add to a dinner of butter chicken over spaghetti squash. They were fantastic. I added some dried spice blend that i had from Pampered Chef and it added great flavour. You could add any dry spice I would imagine to enhance whatever you’re eating. They were stickier than the picture but i used oiled hands, made a ball and divided it in four. I needed the full 15 minutes. Will most definitely make these again.

KAC

These did not turn out well at all. Wet sticky dough that cannot be kneaded. Had to scoop into muffin tin. Did not brown and were very dense. Made exactly as recipe says. Will not make again.

Kathy Gifford

They were delicious! I would say a toss up between a biscuit and yeast roll.
Had a hard time browning them so cooked longer. But they were very good, thank you for sharing.
I love to bake so new recipes are a challenge. Just added more flour till not too sticky, floured hands too..

Tracy

Wow, too sticky. Added a lot more flour and cooked them twice as long. Still too doughy. No one would eat them.

Kirsten

Taste was amazing! I needed to make a lot and don’t have a big muffin pan so I added extra flour to make it less sticky (1/2 cup AFTER quadrupling the recipe); this made the dough perfectly kneadable with floured hands. Then I rolled 16 balls, placed in a cake pan (side by side), and lathered it with melted garlic butter. Took 45 minutes to cook but browned nicely and tasted great. Yum!

Nabihah

Amazing recipe!! I added about 2 tablespoons of cold butter in cubes and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese, as well as some spices and herbs (paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, dried parsley and oregano). I sprinkled some cheese on the top for texture and increased YUM factor. The dough kneaded perfectly by hand, and I added a little more flour while kneading to get a good texture. I didn’t have sour cream so I used mayonnaise instead. The rolls turned out soft and fluffy and absolutely delicious!!!

Nabihah

Oh and my previous comment was for the recipe doubled!!

Gloria Gauntt

I just made these without kneading and they were not “as advertised”. No yeast roll taste at all — taste was like biscuits. Batter was really thick. They were not smooth and golden (might be due to not kneading), but were “warty” on top. I baked them for about 20 minutes and only the tips of the “warts” got brown. They were, however, very tasty with butter and preserves to someone who has not eaten bread for about a month. Will make again and may add a little milk and try kneading them.

Marcia

Can I substitute fat free yogurt?

Renee

I made these last night…..good biscuits (they are not rolls). But, I liked them a lot, super easy, and will make them again. thanks

Nancy

Tip- just drop them by the spoonful into a muffin pan, like drop biscuits. No need to knead, and sticky dough is fine. They were light and fluffy. Took 6 min to cook in my toaster oven and came out perfect. You can also add fresh chives, a little cheese and crumbled bacon and they make great breakfast muffins. Since they are like a biscuit, you can serve them with eggs.